Location: McKinleyville, CA
Shift: 8-hour, Day Shift
The Physical Therapist provides assessment and treatment of patients requiring physical therapy services within the home care setting. Provides professional physical therapy visits in the home care setting and directs home health services for caseload of patients and their families in accordance with physician’s orders through direct care, supervision and multidisciplinary team coordination. The Physical Therapist is a resource to the Field Staff in the areas of community rehabilitation and individualized rehabilitation needs of the patient. Participates in the utilization review, performance improvement and interdisciplinary conference of the organization. The Physical Therapist reports to Clinical Manager or Registered Nurse designee.
- The Physical Therapist performs the initial and ongoing assessment of patient’s physical therapy needs and appropriateness for home care; creates and maintains an individualized goal/outcome based care plan based on the physician’s plan of care.
- Completes accurate and current initial medication profile and maintains ongoing updates of the drug profiles in the medical record and home for assigned therapy-only cases under the supervision of the Clinical Manager.
- Develops and implements plans of care appropriate to the assessment findings and plans for discharge based on the patient’s needs.
- Provides physical therapy services to the patient in the home setting based on the plan of care, authorizations and physician orders following ordered frequencies within the Medicare week; adheres to agency policies and procedures for nursing, infection control, biohazardous waste management, quality improvement activities, safety and risk management practices.
- Confers with the physician in developing and revising the plan of care; reporting patient progress status; obtaining and documenting additional orders based on the initial and ongoing assessment of the patient progress; following regulatory guidelines and policies in writing orders.
- Teaches the patient/family regarding active and passive exercises and the patient’s total physical therapy program.
- Evaluates patients for adaptive equipment needs; obtains physician’s orders; and arranges for necessary adaptive equipment.
- Treats patients to relieve pain and/or develops or restores function to maintain maximum performance.
- Instructs patients and caregivers in the use of assistive devices.
- Maintains patient caseload for case management; coordinates care activities among all disciplines on the care by participating actively in case conferences, identifying additional services needed and discharge planning with multidisciplinary team and other resources to achieve patient outcomes.
- Makes ongoing therapy assessments, evaluates patient progress, updates the plan of care based on findings, and reports significant changes in the patient’s condition to the physician, appropriate team members and/or Clinical Manager.
- Accurately and thoroughly documents patient care observations, interventions, supply utilization and evaluations and prepares and submits completed documentation of the home care visit within the established time parameters; submits OASIS data within regulatory timelines and agency policy.
- The Physical Therapist provides home health aide staff with individualized personal care plans, updates based on the progress of the patient, and coordinates the care plan with other disciplines to support continuity of care.
- Supervises the Home Health Aide and Physical Therapy Assistant on assigned therapy-only cases to ensure plan of care is current and effective in progressing the patient towards achieving patient outcomes.
- Maintains patient schedules based on orders and authorizations within the Medicare week; submits caregiver schedules timely and accurately; communicates scheduling changes daily; meets productivity standards demonstrating effective time management skills.
Education: Graduated from accredited school of physical therapy
Experience: 2 years of current PT experience required, home care experience preferred
License/Certification: Current PT licensure/certification in California; current BLS/CPR.