Space Radio Frequency (RF) Telecommunications (Telecom) Principal Engineer
Leads RF Telecom Systems Engineering throughout the lifecycle of space vehicle (SV) development for major programs. An RF telecom subsystem may be an entire communications payload or a subassembly to carry tracking, telemetry, command, and instrument data between a space vehicle and relays or ground stations.
- Mentor and develop junior RF engineers
- Lead subsystem technical team
- Define architectures and support trade studies to appropriately scope subsystem design, assembly, integration, test, launch and early operation (LEOPS) for new proposals or studies
- Estimate and manage subsystem technical team resources (labor and material)
- Understand, define, and manage subsystem requirements (Ex: Data volume, orbits, thermal, input/output, crypto, framing, EVM, jitter, pointing accuracy, etc.)
- Understand, define, and manage internal/external interfaces (Ex: Comm Payload to SV, SV comm-to-ground, component-to-component, etc.)
- Report cost, schedule, and technical status to internal/external customers
- Define, quantify, manage, and report technical risks
- Provide and/or support engineering analyses to demonstrate adequate subsystem performance and to verify satisfaction of technical requirements (Ex: link budgets, pointing accuracy, component performance, etc.)
- Support subsystem and program milestones/gates with appropriate analyses, presentations, and coordination
- Support identification, procurement, development, test, and integration of hardware, software, and support equipment
- Develop and manage an incremental assembly, integration, and test strategy to adequately demonstrate subsystem compliance to requirements and interface integrity
- Support systems-level engineering trades
- Support LEOPS, on-orbit test, and post-delivery plans and execution
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Current TS/SCI or DoD TS clearance.
- Experience in system requirements architecture definition, development, design, assembly and integration, test and operations of RF Telecom systems.
- Experience with space-qualified hardware components.
- Proven track record in producibility of designs with cost, budget, and schedule constraints.
- Ability to develop positive relationships with program and customer personnel.
- Awareness and management of system-level issues.
- Knowledge of systems engineering tools and techniques (DOORS, data and configuration management, risk management, etc.).
- Knowledge of modeling tools and techniques to predict and budget RF Telecom system performance.
- New business development experience, including successful customer interaction, is desired.
- Excellent presentation and writing skills.
- US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED